By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
News as they happen
  • News
  • Canada
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Science
  • World News
  • Isness
Reading: BC’s Top Mountie Relieved of Duty Amid Undisclosed Allegations
Sign In
Font ResizerAa
News as they happenNews as they happen
  • News
  • Canada
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Science
  • World News
  • Isness
  • News
  • Canada
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Science
  • World News
  • Isness
Have an existing account? Sign In
© Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
bc’s-top-mountie-relieved-of-duty-amid-undisclosed-allegations
BC’s Top Mountie Relieved of Duty Amid Undisclosed Allegations

BC’s Top Mountie Relieved of Duty Amid Undisclosed Allegations

Last updated: August 14, 2026 5:48 pm
By
Jennifer Cowan
3 Min Read
Share
SHARE
BC’s Top Mountie Relieved of Duty Amid Undisclosed Allegations

RCMP Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald speaks to reporters about the mass shooting in Tumbler Ridge B.C. during a news conference in Surrey, B.C., on Feb. 11, 2026. The Canadian Press/Ethan Cairns

The RCMP’s chief officer in British Columbia has been relieved of his duties in connection with unspecified allegations dating back to between 2016 and 2018.

Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald was removed from the position after the allegations were recently brought to the force’s attention, RCMP Commissioner Mike Duheme said in a statement.

“We are treating this matter with the attention and diligence it requires,” Duheme said, noting that the investigation is ongoing. He said no further details would be provided at this time.

McDonald has served as the Mounties’ public face for high-profile cases in the province, conducting briefings concerning the mass shooting in Tumbler Ridge, B.C., that left eight victims dead in February, and addressing the media following the murder of Burnaby RCMP Const. Shaelyn Yang in 2022.

McDonald had more than three decades of law enforcement experience and was awarded the Order of Merit of the Police Forces in 2015.

He served as the top officer at the Surrey RCMP, and was in charge of federal and organized crime investigations as the RCMP’s criminal operations officer for the province, according to a 2024 biography. He also previously worked at the Canada Border Services Agency.

RCMP Assistant Commissioner John Brewer speaks during a news conference in Surrey B.C., on Nov. 21, 2024. (The Canadian Press/Ethan Cairns)

RCMP Assistant Commissioner John Brewer speaks during a news conference in Surrey B.C., on Nov. 21, 2024. The Canadian Press/Ethan Cairns

Duheme said the vacancy left by McDonald’s removal will be filled by assistant commissioner John Brewer.

“I recognize that changes of this nature may be concerning for our employees, partners, and the communities we serve,” Duheme added. “Commanding Officers play a critical role in the delivery of policing services, and it is important that we maintain continuity and stability in leadership.”

Duheme described Brewer as a respected member of the RCMP’s senior leadership team and he said the change in leadership will not impact RCMP operations in British Columbia.

Brewer made headlines earlier this year as head of the B.C. Extortion Task Force when he questioned whether a wave of shootings and extortion incidents targeting members of the South Asian community in the province constituted a “crisis” during a Jan. 20 press conference.

His comments prompted B.C. Premier David Eby to say the following day that Brewer needed to clarify his “puzzling” remarks or step aside as head of the task force.

Brewer subsequently apologized, saying he did not intend to cast doubt on the RCMP’s commitment to investigating extortion, which he described as one of the task force’s “highest priorities.”

EBay Turns Down GameStop’s $55.5 Billion Takeover Proposal
Amazon Subsidiary Zoox Expands Robotaxi Tests to Phoenix, Dallas
Xi Jinping in Tibet: Decoding Internal Policy and External Signaling
Tesla to Get Chips From Samsung’s Texas Facility in $16.5 Billion Deal
US Labor Market Steadies as Jobless Claims Fall Again
TAGGED:CanadaFeatured Canadian NewsTop Canadian NewsWorld News
Share This Article
Facebook Email Copy Link Print
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    5 + 6 =

    You Might Also Like

    trump-imposes-50-percent-tariff-on-certain-canadian-goods
    BusinessCanadaEconomyExecutive BranchPolicies & ImpactsTariffsUncategorizedUSUS NewsUS PoliticsWorld News

    Trump Imposes 50 Percent Tariff on Certain Canadian Goods

    By
    Jill McLaughlin
    1 Min Read
    the-global-restoration-is-immediate…
    IsnessUncategorized

    The global restoration is IMMEDIATE…

    By
    Isness
    4 Min Read
    rubio-departs-for-israel-after-gaza-talks-stall,-doha-strike
    Executive BranchGlobalMiddle EastUncategorizedUSUS PoliticsWorld News

    Rubio Departs for Israel After Gaza Talks Stall, Doha Strike

    By
    Ryan Morgan
    1 Min Read
    News as they happen

    We influence thousands of users and are the number one business and technology news network on the planet. Newsguard delivers everything you need to know to live your best life, best tech trend, traveling passion and more…

    Categories

    • The Escapist
    • Entertainment
    • Bussiness

    Quick Links

    • Advertise with us
    • Newsletters
    • Complaint
    • Deal

    @Newsguard – Codeus Design. All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Username or Email Address
    Password

    Lost your password?