By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
News as they happen
  • News
  • Canada
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Science
  • World News
  • Isness
Reading: Sinaloa Governor Returns to Office as He Faces Drug Charges in US
Sign In
Font ResizerAa
News as they happenNews as they happen
  • News
  • Canada
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Science
  • World News
  • Isness
  • News
  • Canada
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Science
  • World News
  • Isness
Have an existing account? Sign In
© Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.

Sinaloa Governor Returns to Office as He Faces Drug Charges in US

Last updated: August 23, 2026 9:48 pm
By
Ryan Morgan
3 Min Read
Share
SHARE
Sinaloa Governor Returns to Office as He Faces Drug Charges in US

Rubén Rocha, Sinaloa governor, attends the inauguration of the Santa Fe bridge, in Culiacán, Mexico, on July 17, 2025. David Gaspar/Reuters

The governor of the Mexican state of Sinaloa has returned to his office after momentarily stepping aside in May, as U.S. prosecutors accused him of facilitating cartel activity in the state.

“Today, I have resumed the exercise of my role as Constitutional Governor of the State of Sinaloa,” Rubén Rocha Moya said in a statement on Aug. 21.

On April 29, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York announced that it had obtained an indictment against Moya and nine other current and former Mexican officials, charging them with drug trafficking and weapons offenses.

Moya, 76, was specifically charged with narcotics importation conspiracy, unlawful possession of machine guns, and conspiracy to unlawfully possess machine guns. He has consistently denied the allegations.

The U.S. Department of Justice sought Moya’s extradition, but he has remained in Mexico since the charges were announced.

On May 1, Moya announced that he would take a leave of absence while Mexican authorities reviewed the matter. In its initial response to the indictment, the Mexican Attorney General’s Office said the U.S. extradition request included no additional evidence to substantiate the alleged crimes.

As he announced his return to office on Aug. 21, Moya said he had cooperated with Mexican authorities.

“After 112 days of investigation, as the Attorney General’s Office itself has already reported in a press conference to the media, there are no minimum elements of proof that support our involvement in any criminal conduct—or in other words, I have committed no crime, in accordance with the constitutional and legal framework of our country,” Moya wrote.

The Mexican Interior Ministry has since said that Moya’s return to office was his personal decision and that Mexican authorities are still investigating the matter.

“At the time, the Attorney General’s Office reported that it maintains open investigation files related to the 10 people named by the United States Department of Justice, including the governor of Sinaloa,” the Mexican Interior Ministry said.

The indictment alleges that a faction of the Sinaloa Cartel terrorist group stole ballots and intimidated opposition candidates to help Moya win the governor’s election in 2021. In turn, Moya is alleged to have helped install other cartel-aligned individuals in positions of state and local authority throughout Sinaloa, who then facilitated illicit cartel activities.

Last year, the U.S. federal government designated the Sinaloa Cartel as a foreign terrorist organization.

The charges against Moya carry a mandatory minimum sentence of 40 years in prison, with the potential for life in prison.

Significant Increase in the Circulation of Counterfeit Bills in Retail Stores
Trump Considering Eliminating Capital Gains Tax on Houses
Why China Isn’t Sweating Europe’s Rebalancing Push
Hundreds Rally in Sydney Amid US-Israel Strikes on Iran, Death of Ayatollah
Postal Service Wants to Raise Rates on PO Boxes, Hazardous Shipments
TAGGED:AmericasCrime & Public SafetyGlobalInternationalUSWorld News
Share This Article
Facebook Email Copy Link Print
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    5 + 6 =

    You Might Also Like

    state-department-stops-visa-services-for-3-african-nations-amid-outbreak
    Africa NewsGlobalInternationalUncategorizedUSUS NewsWorld News

    State Department Stops Visa Services for 3 African Nations Amid Outbreak

    By
    Jack Phillips
    1 Min Read
    china-starts-copper-rush-in-africa;-us-moves-forward-with-its-own-ambitions
    Africa NewsChina NewsGlobalUncategorizedUSWorld News

    China Starts Copper Rush in Africa; US Moves Forward With Its Own Ambitions

    By
    Darren Taylor
    1 Min Read
    new-agreements-spark-yet-more-questions-around-bc-property-rights
    CanadaOpinionUncategorizedViewpointsWorld News

    New Agreements Spark Yet More Questions Around BC Property Rights

    By
    Bruce Pardy
    1 Min Read
    News as they happen

    We influence thousands of users and are the number one business and technology news network on the planet. Newsguard delivers everything you need to know to live your best life, best tech trend, traveling passion and more…

    Categories

    • The Escapist
    • Entertainment
    • Bussiness

    Quick Links

    • Advertise with us
    • Newsletters
    • Complaint
    • Deal

    @Newsguard – Codeus Design. All Rights Reserved.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign in to your account

    Username or Email Address
    Password

    Lost your password?